08 July 2007

Food

I've talked some about food about how my wife & I are part of a CSA and most everything we buy after that comes from Wild Oats or the Turnip Truck. I've also mentioned eating "in season" and/or local foods. I considered healthier b/c you limit shipping time thus its fresher. It's healthier b/c you limit the need to add chemicals that will maintain or increase shelf life. Now there seem to be even more reasons:
A ten-year study comparing organic tomatoes with standard produce found that they had almost double the quantity of antioxidants called flavonoids which help to prevent high blood pressure and thus reduce the likelihood of heart disease and strokes.
Organic fruit and vegetables really are better for your heart

So, the next time you go to Kroger or some other grocery store look for organic & local labels on your produce.

No comments: