23 December 2008

Thrift-Store Shopping

I am a middle class person. I grew up middle class and I maintain a great deal of the middle class ethic. I admit its classist but I work hard to overcome it. I try not to assume things about people based on where they live or how they speak. I try maintain a level of cognisance about where I come from and what I expect. One of these things is Goodwill/Thrift-store shopping.

I grew up with the idea that you shopped Goodwill b/c you couldn't afford other. You bought on sale but you bought from a top level retailer. When I got in high school you shopped Goodwill b/c you couldn't afford other or you needed something retro or something you could write on.

As a 40-year old I believe you shop Goodwill b/c people like me get rid of stuff, b/c there is already so much stuff manufactured that you don't need more resources used and b/c you can save money.

There is a supervisor at the library who is always bragging about his Goodwill finds, so I finally started to go. My first trip I found a j.crew linen shirt (lavender) which retails for almost $70. It was my size and it cost $4.00! At that point I was hooked. When I got out of college and started to make some money I lived the j.crew catalog. (Really? How middle class is that? My closet is still filled with j.crew.) Now, shopping at these places can be real hit-or-miss. I still don't go regularly but I go far more often than I used to.

Tara, on the other hand has been an avid thrift-store shopper. Once she found out she was pregnant it became even more regular. She figured if she had to buy clothes that she would wear less than a year (maternity clothes) or baby stuff which will be outgrown almost as quickly as they are worn there was no reason to spend tones of money, fuel the inefficient clothing manufacturing machine. She has made out like a bandit and she has inspired friends and coworkers. Tara is also making out like a bandit at consignment sales.

I really need to check that out myself, I have a suit and other random clothing items I can't wear that might make money.

Anyway, check out your local 2nd hand-gently used-consignment stores before you head to the mall.

No comments: